Professional Development Courses
Managing Upward One Day - Instructor-led
An excellent course if you are wishing to position yourself for upward professional mobility. This course introduces techniques for developing positive working relationships with those above you in the organization. It is not easy to "manage your boss," but the tips provided will help you handle and offer both praise and constructive criticism.
This course is designed for anyone who is looking to advance professionally in their field.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
- Focusing on the Big Picture
- Communicate with Impact
- Build bridges via Meetings
- Confronting with Compassion
- Read your Boss
- Manage Time Management Monsters
- Cope with Dreadful Bosses
Lesson 1: Introduction
- What Is a Boss?
- Why are You Taking this Course?
- Defining the Partnership and How it can be better
- Think about Your Situation
- Clarify Your Relationship
Lesson 2: Focusing on the Big Picture
- Where Do I Start?
- Other Ways to Find Out Your Boss’ Priorities
- Blend Goals
- Blocks to Goal Advancement
- Overcoming Blocks
Lesson 3: Communicate with Impact
- What is Effective Communication?
- Communication Gaps
- How Well Do You Comprehend or Listen?
Lesson 4: Building Bridges via Meetings
- Let’s Talk!
- Before You Jump In
- Getting Started
- Getting Action from Bi-Weekly Meetings
- The High Cost of Meetings
- If Your Boss is the Meeting Leader
Lesson 5: Confronting with Compassion
- How can You Critique Your Manager?
- Five S’s of Providing Unsolicited Feedback
- Select Your Timing
- Secure the Boss’ Permission
- Share Specifics
- Show Team Benefits
- Summarize Your Agreement
Lesson 6: How to Read Your Boss
- Reading your Boss
- The Stop Sign
Lesson 7: The Care and Feeding of a Boss
- Six Ways to Become a Star
- Successful Employee Actions
- Praising Upward
- Things Bosses Don’t Want
Lesson 8: Managing Time Management Monsters
- Productivity Principles
- How to Manage the Monsters
- Changing Priorities
- Coping with Multiple Bosses
- Lack of Information
- Unavailable Boss
- Disorganized Boss
Lesson 9: Coping with Dreadful Bosses
- All Bosses Are Not Created Equal
- Intolerable Boss Behavior
- What Can You Do?
- Risk to Action Steps Diagram
- Good Guy/Bad Guy
- The Bottleneck Boss
Lesson 10: Chutes or Ladders
- Assess Yourself
- Evaluating Your Scoresheet
- How to Achieve Good Performance Evaluations