Professional Development Courses
Project Management Fundamentals
One Day - Instructor-led
Project Management Fundamentals overviews the basics of project management. It provides the theory and core methodology you will need to manage projects or participate on project teams.
This course does not make use of any project management software application, but instead focuses on the conceptual underpinnings that students must know in order to use any project management software application effectively.
Students enrolling in this course should be planning to lead a project (primary audience) or serve on a project team (secondary audience).
Before attending this course, students must have:
- Taken the Windows XP Level 1 course or have the basic skills and knowledge of Windows applications
There are no exams associated with this course.
- Discuss the phases of the Project Management Life Cycle and a project manager's role in each phase.
- List and discuss basic project success criteria and common reasons for project failure.
- Discuss techniques for setting up a strong project team.
- List and discuss elements of a Risk Management Plan.
- Discuss techniques for planning and sequencing project activities, including the Work Breakdown Structure and the Network Logic Diagram.
- Identify the Critical Path for completing a project on schedule.
- List and discuss the cost elements that should be included in a project budget.
- Discuss techniques for controlling for deviation from budgets and schedules.
- Discuss key elements of project management communications and reporting tools.
- Discuss key activities of project close-out.
Lesson 1: The Project Management Life Cycle
- What is a Project?
- The Project Management Life Cycle
- The Role of the Project Manager
Lesson 2: Setting Up for Success
- The Meaning of Success
- What Happens in the Initiation Phase?
- Project Definition and Scope
- Putting Together a Statement of Work
- The Project Charter
Lesson 3: The Project Team
- The Teamwork Challenge
- Selecting Team Members
- The Team Charter
Lesson 4: Risk Management
- Project Risk
Lesson 5: Project Plans
- The Work Breakdown Structure
- Work Package Sequencing
Lesson 6: The Project Schedule
- The Scheduling Process
- Time Estimates
Lesson 7: The Project Budget
- What is a Budget?
- Creating a Preliminary Budget
- Budget and Schedule Balancing
Lesson 8: Project Tracking and Control
- Moving the Project Forward
- Monitoring for Project Progress
- Earned Value Analysis
- Getting Back on Track
Lesson 9: Project Reports
- Communications Overview
- Project Performance Reports
- Project Change Requests
Lesson 10: Project Close-out
- Elements of Close-out
- Evaluation of People and Projects